Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life gives you lemons... make cupcakes!

So, my very dear friend, Ouida (pronounced Wee-Duh) moved to Chicago. I met her through my job. She actually is the one that hired me. She had the wonderful position of being Salon Manager at Lemon Spalon where I am a hair stylist and makeup artist. Anyway... She fell in love with a great guy who happened to live in Chicago. After countless weekend trips, she decided to take the plunge and move to be with him.

We were all so sad to see her go but ever so happy for her.

For her going away present I made her Lemon cupcakes (appropriately enough!) and put together a modge podge of pix. I just glued a bunch of pix onto a canvas then poured lacquer over it. Ta-da!



As you may know Live Out Loud as become my slogan. That's a whole other post that I have yet to put up. I'm such a procrastinator!

The Lemon cupcakes turned out deeeelish.



See... Ouida loved 'em:



As did my husband:



Here's the recipe:
From www.slashfood.com

Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), soft
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line one muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in egg. Add vanilla and lemon extracts into the buttermilk and pour half into the sugar mixture. Mix in half of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining buttermilk and the rest of the flour. Stir only until just combined. Divide evenly into the prepared cups.
Bake at 350F for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Makes 12 cupcakes.

For the frosting I used my favorite cream cheese frosting:
From www.joythebaker.com
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, cold (I used room temperature)
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Beat the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and butter together in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-slow speed until it comes together and is well mixed.
Add the cream cheese all at once and beat on medium to medium-high until incorporated.
Turn the mixer to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes, or until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
Do not over-beat as the frosting can quickly become runny.

In addition to the Lemon cupcakes and collage, we partied hard to bid farewell to the lovely Miss Ouida....





Ouida partied a bit tooooo hard.... Life gave her alcohol.... she made a hangover!



I miss the F out of that girl. A goofy kiss for her...

1 comment:

Kella said...

Julia! I love your blog and your recipe for lemon cupcakes. Thanks for being such an inspiring person.